As part of consultations prior to the 2015 Defence White Paper, the Department of Defence has released a 50-page issues paper containing a summary of the key issues for consideration.
The government is seeking input on the following key questions:
- What are the main threats to, and opportunities for, Australia’s security?
- Are Defence’s policy settings current and accurate?
- What defence capabilities do we need now, and in the future?
- How can we enhance international engagement on defence and security issues?
- What should the relationship be between Defence and defence industry to support Defence’s mission?
- How should Defence invest in its people, and how should it continue to enhance its culture?
According to Defence Minister David Johnston:
“The purpose of this Defence Issues Paper is to set out the essential and fundamental issues for consideration as part of the development of the Defence White Paper.
“It is intended to be the starting point of the Government’s consultation with the Australian community. I encourage all Australians to consider the issues raised in this paper and to contribute to the debate on Defence.”