PM disbands COVID-19 advisory board, declares emergency response over

By Melissa Coade

Monday May 3, 2021

Scott Morrison
Scott Morrison (AAP Image: Mich Tsikas)

More than a year since the COVID-19 Commission Advisory Board was formed, the prime minister has announced that its work has concluded as Australia looks to the ‘path of economic recovery’.

Mr Morrison issued a statement on Monday announcing that Australia has moved past the emergency phase of the COVID-19 response and that the commission has concluded its work on behalf of the government. 

Australia’s strong health and economic circumstances and our strong outlook make it the right time for the board to conclude its work,” Mr Morrison said. 

“I want to thank the Chair of the Board, Mr Nev Power, and each of the current and former commissioners for their work. 

“They answered the call for their country when they were needed and have worked hard to support the government’s plans for managing the virus and economic recovery,” he added.

The COVID-19 Commission Advisory Board was established by the federal government to have a go-to panel of experts that would help it ‘troubleshoot in the crisis management phase of the pandemic’, Mr Morrison said. 

Advisory board chair Neville Power is the current chairman of Perth Airport and previously worked for Fortescue Metals Group as managing director. The other eight board members were experienced former public servant Jane Halton, Paul Little, Mike Hirst, Su McCluskey,  Paul Howes, Bao Hoang, Samatha Hogg and Laura Berry. 

The board provided a real-time business perspective on critical aspects of our COVID-19 response,” Mr Morrison said. 

“[They] helped businesses safely reopen with COVIDSafe plans, and provided a business perspective to help inform our policies for economic recovery.”


READ MORE:

Team COVID-19

About the author
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

The essential resource for effective
public sector professionals