Police reportedly received a statement in March alleging that former attorney-general Christian Porter boasted about having sex with the woman who accused him of historical sexual assault.
According to Guardian Australia, James Hooke made a formal statement to New South Wales police on March 17 and 22 — just weeks after Porter came forward as the minister at the centre of the rape allegations on March 3.
Porter strenuously denied the allegations. He said he never had sexual relations with the woman, and could not recall having any contact with her since 1988.
The woman had alleged that she was raped three times by Porter in Sydney in 1988. She took her own life last year — a day after telling police she ‘no longer felt able to proceed’ with her formal statement on the allegations.
The allegations emerged publicly in February, after it was revealed that the prime minister, Labor senator Penny Wong and Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young had received an anonymous dossier outlining the allegations. The Federal Court released the 31-page dossier to the public last week.
Hooke is a managing director at Macquarie Bank and a long-time friend of Porter and the woman. In a statement to the media in March, he said he was ‘devastated’ by the death of his friend, and ‘concerned for the wellbeing of Christian Porter’.
He said he had ‘clear recollections of relevant discussions’ he had with the woman ‘from mid-1988 until her death’, as well as with Porter ‘from April 1992 in Perth and through the mid-1990s’.