Submissions have opened for the New South Wales government’s Women’s Strategy, with the government asking women and girls to provide responses.
The previous women’s strategy has run from 2018 to 2022.
The government has said the next strategy will be founded on three pillars: economic opportunity, health and well-being, and participation and empowerment.
NSW minister for women Bronnie Taylor said the consultation assists in the government getting ‘the next strategy right’.
“The more women we hear from, the better understanding we have of what we need to do to improve the lives of all women in our state, no matter their age, their background or their postcode,” Taylor said.
The NSW government has said it will also consult with community groups, including those that work with Aboriginal women, LGBTIQ+ women, and women with disabilities.
In a discussion paper about the past strategy and looking ahead towards the new one, the government acknowledged the past two years have featured global events that have disproportionately affected women, from the COVID pandemic to the bushfires.
The paper also named the government’s $60 million to frontline domestic and sexual violence services over two years and its $32.5 million over four years to expand the Staying Home Leaving Violence program as some of the investments it had made for women.
The strategy will be complemented by the NSW government’s Women’s Economic Opportunities Review, which focuses on areas such as the re-entering of women in the workplace and support for female entrepreneurs to run their own businesses.
Last month, the state government introduced gender targets for its 81 board position for its State Owned Coporations and Public Finanical Corporations, with no less than 40% of board director positions being filled by women, and 50% for board positions overall, as previously reported in The Mandarin.
The online consultation for the strategy is open from May 24 to 5pm, on June 20.