The HMAS Encounter establishment has been recommissioned in Adelaide.
According to a statement from Defence, the establishment was decommissioned 28 years ago.
Defence said in a media release the recommissioning comes at a time when the transition of the Australian navy to a future fleet is essential.
Chief of Navy vice admiral Michael Noonan said the news comes as Australia expands its navy at a rate unseen since the Second World War.
“Recommissioning Encounter will provide a central focus for Navy in South Australia, and encourage greater connection between our Service, its national purpose and the community,” Noonan said.
#HMASEncounter has been recommissioned in South Australia – the first dedicated naval base in the state in over 28 years! Encounter will support the growing SA presence & is an important recognition of the local shipbuilding capability helping to build #AusNavy‘s future fleet. ⚓ pic.twitter.com/AISTqip6kW
— Royal Australian Navy (@Australian_Navy) May 29, 2022
The establishment will be initially stationed at Keswick Barracks, and will be relocated to Osborne.
The commanding officer of HMAS Encounter, commander Emma McDonald-Kerr, said South Australia is home for many personnel.
“Navy’s number one capability is our people, and our people are a reflection of our community. HMAS Encounter’s motto is ‘stronger together’, which speaks directly to the importance of us working hand-in-hand with the South Australian community,” McDonald-Kerr said.
Beyond shipbuilding, Defence stated, the navy contributes to a range of joint capabilities in South Australia, including science and technology, remote sensor and surveillance, electronic warfare, personnel management, recruitment and experimentation.
HMAS Encounter was previously a naval establishment at Birkenhead near Port Adelaide, lasting from 1965 to 1994.