The South Australian branch of the Institute of Public Administration has formalised its role as a provider of professional development for state government departments and agencies.
The agreement between IPAA South Australia and the Senior Management Council which includes all chief executives of major government agencies of the SA government funds professional development programs and key events and forums hosted by IPAA SA
The chair of SMC, Department of the Premier and Cabinet chief executive Kym Winter-Dewhirst said: “We acknowledge the important role that IPAA plays in the provision of professional development opportunities and thought leadership events many of which align with the key priorities of the state government”.
The state government is focussed on creating a modern public service and one that embraces innovation through collaboration. This partnership is a key demonstration of that commitment and further opportunities to build public sector capacity in this area are anticipated.
The four-year agreement was successfully negotiated by IPAA SA president Erma Ranieri and interim executive director Tony Lawson. Lawson said: “We are very appreciative of this new agreement as it highlights the very positive and professional relationships between the SA Government and IPAA SA and it provides critical funding to ensure the on-going financial sustainability of IPAA SA.”
Some of the agreed joint objectives and priorities realised by this agreement include:
- Raising awareness of leading edge public sector activities which improves the profile and the work of the public sector in South Australia.
- Encouraging policy, research and debate on public administration issues.
- Promoting ethical standards and integrity in the practice of public administration.
- Providing a high quality, relevant Event and Forum program which equips members with the knowledge and information to meet the demands of their role and thus ensuring a vibrant and valuable Government sector.
- Promoting IPAA as the association of choice for public sector executives, managers and practitioners, and for those with professional, academic or personal interest in public administration.
- Providing innovative, relevant Professional Development training sessions and extended programs ensuring alignment to the Public Sector’s Competency Framework which equip members with the skills to meet the demands of their role in the public sector.
- Providing diverse activities which support the professional and personal ambitions of the public sector, and the development of strategic partnerships and alliances with all sectors of government and the not for profit and community sectors.