The Australian Bureau of Statistics today announced the members of its independent panel to ensure the data quality of this year’s Census.
The panel is comprised of eminent Australian and international statisticians, academics, state government representatives and members of the Australian Statistics Advisory Council.
It will operate alongside the ABS’ existing quality assurance processes.
Independent assurance panel members are:
- Chair — Professor Sandra Harding, Vice-Chancellor and President of James Cook University.
- Dennis Trewin AO — former Australian Statistician and former President of the International Statistical Institute.
- Professor Peter McDonald AM — Head of Demography, University of Melbourne and President of the International Union for the Scientific Study of Population, 2010–2013.
- Peter Morrison — Former Assistant Chief Canadian Statistician, responsible for running the Canadian Census.
- Anton Voss, Deputy Secretary, Tasmanian Department of Treasury and Finance, and member of the ASAC.
- Professor Lisa Jackson Pulver AM, Pro Vice-Chancellor Engagement and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Leadership at the University of Western Sydney, and member of the ASAC.
The terms of reference will be agreed upon when the panel sits for the first time in mid-November. Its focus expected to include a review of the quality approaches developed by the ABS for the Census and Post Enumeration Survey, along with an examination of the metrics from the Census on quality aspects such as response rates, person non-response, item non-responses rates, and a review of the over and undercount analysis.
The panel will report to the Australian Statistician by March 31.