The Deputy Under Treasurer provides high level policy, strategic and technical advice to the Under Treasurer, the Treasurer, other ministers and chief executive officers on the full range of economic, commercial and financial issues affecting the Northern Territory.
The position is responsible for developing effective policy frameworks and initiatives to enhance economic and financial performance. The Deputy Under Treasurer provides leadership within the and, where appropriate, across the Northern Territory public sector. An Executive Contract of up to 4 years may be offered.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Lead and manage the Economic Group, Intergovernmental Financial Relations, and the Territory Revenue Office, supporting development of high performing teams that produce required outputs and effective outcomes.
- Provide high level strategic advice and leadership on policy and corporate strategy to the Under Treasurer and Senior Management Group, in response to the contemporary and forward looking requirements of the agency to meet its strategic goals and the Government’s priorities.
- Develop and implement appropriate accountability, transparency and compliance frameworks to ensure Treasury meets its targets and obligations under the Financial Management Act 1995, the Fiscal Integrity and Transparency Act 2001, and other relevant legislation.
- Ensure strong and contemporary corporate governance is in place in Treasury, and develop effective strategic and business planning and performance reporting systems.
- Build and maintain strong working relations and partnerships within the Territory Government, and with external stakeholders, to be regarded as a valued collaborator and contributor.
- Represent the Northern Territory in intergovernmental forums, and within the Territory, with high level strategic input to advance the Territory’s interests.
- Provide leadership and mentoring within Treasury and, as part of the Senior Management Group, assist the Under Treasurer to deliver agency outcomes.
- Undertake special projects as required by the Under Treasurer.
- Demonstrated leadership skills at a senior executive level, and strong management, organisational and planning capabilities with the ability to shape strategic thinking.
- Extensive conceptual and analytical skills at a senior executive level, and knowledge of contemporary developments and issues in the areas of the position’s responsibility, particularly on economic, financial and or commercial policy.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, with a proven ability to communicate with influence.
- High level of self-awareness, resilience, personal drive and professionalism, with a proven ability to cultivate productive working relationships, deal with uncertainty and build organisation capability and responsiveness.
- Ability to represent Treasury and the Territory in a range of forums, with high level skills in negotiation.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships, and influence and motivate individuals and organisations to achieve better outcomes within Treasury and externally.
- Demonstrated capacity to cope with significant workload, meet critical deadlines and achieve outcomes.
- Ability to interact effectively with people from diverse cultures.
- Proven knowledge of and extensive experience with the processes of government, including preparation of Cabinet submissions, ministerial briefings, reports and other advice to Government.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications.
Contact: Catherine Weber, Deputy Under Treasurer (Corporate) on 08 8999 6033 or [email protected]