- Drive outcomes to at least halve the disparity in regional tertiary education outcomes
- Substantial remuneration package
- Flexible location
The Australian Government has created the role of Regional Education Commissioner to oversee and coordinate the effort to implement the National Regional, Rural and Remote Tertiary Education Strategy (Napthine Review). The goal of the Commissioner is to work with governments and other key stakeholders to at least halve the disparity in tertiary education outcomes between regional, rural and remote and metropolitan students by 2030. The Commissioner’s activities will engage with a broad range of education sectors, from early childhood through to higher education, including both university and vocational education and training, with consideration of the broader policy environment, to achieve the overall objective.
Key deliverables include:
- oversee and coordinate various projects in response to the recommendations of the Napthine Review
- provide advice to Government on effective and efficient strategies to improve the access, participation, success and opportunities in regional rural and remote education in Australia
- work independently and impartially with regional, rural and remote communities, education providers, employers and across all levels of government, a range of portfolios, and key stakeholders to improve tertiary education access, participation and outcomes
- advocate and champion regional, rural and remote investment and philanthropy as a means of developing national social cohesion, economic development and nation building
- ensure Indigenous students and students with disabilities are given appropriate consideration in access, participation and outcomes in regional, rural and remote tertiary education
- report annually on progress with implementing the Strategy and tertiary education participation and outcomes in regional, rural and remote areas.
This high-profile and challenging position requires exceptional leadership and a passionate interest in improving educational outcomes in regional, rural and remote Australia.
To be a strong contender, you will need to have comprehensive senior level understanding of the regional, rural and remote education sector or proven capability delivering for government leading complex projects and programs of work. You will be capable of collaborating and consulting closely with a broad range of stakeholders and have excellent understanding of the relationships between the Department, Minister, state and territory jurisdictions, peak bodies, and the community. You will also bring strong strategic ability, astute policy advisory and resource management skills, sound judgement, exceptional communication skills to influence stakeholders and a strong focus on outcomes.
Before applying, please obtain selection documentation by emailing [email protected] quoting Ref. No. 978.
Further information may be obtained by contacting
Amanda O’Rourke on 0452 199 031.
Applications close at 11.59 (AEST) on Monday 12 April 2021