Most spheres of public policy in Australia are shaped by Commonwealth-State relations.
Commonwealth-State Relations is a 3-hour online masterclass with Lisa Paul AO PSM, offered by the Stretton Institute at the University of Adelaide.
The COVID-19 crisis and the recent bushfires have shown that co-operation is possible, but differences and inconsistencies occur across the nation. The Masterclass will illuminate the dynamics of Commonwealth-State relations and focus on how public servants contribute to peer-to-peer negotiations and to national ministerial operations.
At the end of the masterclass participants will:
- Understand how Commonwealth-State relations work
- Understand how to analyse Commonwealth-State relations in your policy domain and assess outcomes
- Understand how to make Commonwealth-State work better
Who should attend?
- Public servants who negotiate with their counterparts in other jurisdictions
- Public servants who contribute to briefings and analysis for Commonwealth-State ministerial meetings
- People who would like to demystify the complexities of Commonwealth-State relations
Date & Time:
- Wednesday, 21st October 2020, 2:00pm – 5:00pm (AEST)
Lisa Paul AO PSM is Coordinator of the Business Council of Australia’s Community Rebuilding Initiative, helping small businesses and communities recover from the 2019-20 bushfires. From 2004 to 2016 Lisa was Secretary to several federal government departments and has managed Commonwealth-State relations and regulation in housing and homelessness, schooling, vocational education and training, tertiary education, workplace health and safety, workplace relations and employment.
Lisa was made an Officer in the Order of Australia and named the Australian Chartered Accountants’ Federal Government Leader of the Year in 2011. She was awarded the Public Servant medal in 2003 for leading the Australian Government’s domestic response to the Bali bombings. Her departments also twice won the Australian Human Resource Institute’s top award for excellence in people management.
Ticket Cost: $180.00